National 125 Sailing Association

125 Discussion Forum

Please note: This forum is read by a wide group of 125 sailors.
This is not the place for personal attacks or inappropriate comments on anyones race, sex, age or sailing abilities.

Return to the Forum List

Centrecase tape
Hi everyone. So great to see so many of you use this site and give each other help/ advise. I need some help too! You know that fibreglass tape that we put on the bottom of our boats along side where the centreboard blade comes up and down (to stop water comin up the case)...does anyone know what it is called and where i can get some more from. Kevin Cameron (from QLD) put mine on years ago when he sailed over here (in WA) with me and now i need to replace it. Please if you know any info on it, it would be a huge help! ta:)
Annika Musto20-Feb-2009    Edit    Delete 
fwf divwje - ugg italia - ugg italia - UGG scontati
Xleignsss22-Feb-2009    Edit    Delete 
Re: Centrecase tape
Anika, the clear material is sometimes refered to as 'monofilm' and is used in some windsurfing sails and for patterns. you used? to be able to get a white film as well. Most sailmakers would know of this, and possibly windsurfing shops who do sail repairs.
I glued mine on and also put sail repair tape over the sides and at the front to stop the water pressure peeling it back.
Hope this is of some use to you.
Greg Hood 22-Feb-2009    Edit    Delete 
Re: Centrecase tape
It's not fibreglass tape its mylar material. Go to your nearest sailmaker and buy a strip of it.

It's very easy to cut with a fine sharp blade.

I tend to back my material with sailmakers cloth too at the front and rear to stop splitting. Didn't seem to work too well on my current tape.

Front needs to have a bit of an ovaloid hole so that the tape sits flatter with the board fully down and doesn't try and split like mine did for some reason.

Best of luck.
steve low24-Feb-2009    Edit    Delete 
Re: Centrecase tape
Electric motor rewinders use a suitable mylar for insulation. It is a lot cheaper than at the yacht shops. I buy some 5mm wider than the recess moulded into the GRP hull, cut it down the middle and glue with contact adhesive to the hull. Have the clean cut edges to the centre and your rougher scissor or knife cut to the outer edges. Use sail repair tape across the front and back edges to give a smooth water flow.
Don Barnett SA
Don Barnett25-Feb-2009    Edit    Delete 

Return to the Forum List       Add a message to this discussion
Measurer's Forum
Committee's Forum

  National 125 Association admin